Founded in May 2007, as part of Vancouver’s annual Keep Vancouver Spectacular (KVS) event, the West End Cleanup is a grassroots group of volunteers who are dedicated to keeping clean the most spectacular neighbourhood in Canada’s most beautiful city!
We have established affiliations with Gordon Neighbourhood House (GNH) and the West End Business Improvement Association (WEBIA) to combine efforts to make the West End a clean and safe environment in which to live, work and play.
If you would like to join us, please E-Mail email@example.com.
We meet most* months for regular two-hour cleanups. Our meeting point is in front of Gordon Neighbourhood House (1019 Broughton Street) at 10:00 a.m. on the second Saturday of the month (unless that is on a long weekend, in which case we meet on the third Saturday…please check calendar page to confirm). We go out for two hours and regroup back at the meeting spot. All equipment is provided and we go out in all weather (so dress appropriately).
* In May of each year, instead of our usual cleanup, we host a special anniversary event (including a BBQ for volunteers) in front of Gordon Neighbourhood House. For 2015, our 8th Anniversary cleanup is currently scheduled for Saturday, 30 May 2015 from 9:30 a.m. until noon, at which time the BBQ begins.
* In June and July, we forego our regular cleanups to participate in:
- West End Seniors’ Network Annual Strawberry Festival (13 June 2015). We will recruit volunteers and sell our popcorn to raise operating funds and also oversee the composting/waste/recycling c entres that will be setup on-site.
- West End Car-Free Day (20 June 2015). Our booth is always setup on Denman at Barclay. We recruit volunteers and sell our popcorn to raise operating funds; as well, we ensure the streets are clean throughout the festival.
- The highlight of our year is our annual West End Cleanup Community Yard Sale; it’s always on the second Saturday of July from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. on the grounds of Lord Roberts Elementary School (at Comox and Cardero). If you want to sell, it is $15 for a space; a table will cost an extra $3 and an awning/umbrella an extra $5 (each are subject to availability; you’re welcome to bring you own table and/or awning or umbrella). Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to see if space is available. Entrance is free to come onto the grounds to browse. Also, we will be hosting one of our quarterly Electronics Recycling event at this venue.
If you would rather not go out with our group, or simply want to do a bit more…why not adopt your block? To do so, please E-Mail email@example.com with the details of the block on which you live. If it is already adopted, we will assign a nearby block (or maybe the adoptee can use a hand).
Please checkout this video celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the City of Vancouver’s “Keep Vancouver Spectacular” program: